Dedicated to healthy mind, beauty, and spirit

Dedicated to healthy mind, beauty, and spirit

Saturday, February 28, 2009

KIRTAN

Several years ago a friend invited me to a Kirtan chant. She didn’t tell me much about it, only that it was cool. The event was held in the basement of a local church. People sat cross-legged on the floor around the band, others in chairs behind, but we all removed our shoes at the door. Hundreds gathered, the lights were dimmed, and a warm energy filled the room.

The singer, Ragani, gave a brief introduction, and found the “new-bees” with a show of hands. She was a comedian, dry, monotone, witty, translating the potent meaning of each chant with maternal care. The chants, on a screen behind the band, written in Sanskrit, looked scary and intimidating. At that fragile moment,
I decided to watch and listen. But when the “OM” sound reached every corner of the room, my head buzzed from the vibration. During the third repeat, I jumped in.
It was cool.

Quickly acclimating to the call and response pattern, I caught myself swaying with the music and relaxing into the experience. I got happy, and troubles were forgotten. The joy around me was multiplying exponentially, carrying me with it. The chants were loooong and somewhere in the middle I grew unconscious, hypnotized by the beauty of the music, the voices, the swell of bliss. Everyone was on a magic carpet ride, sharing the same perfect sky.

The event called Kirtan is a gate to somewhere beyond your imagination.
I felt lucky that night to have found it. I am sharing this story to pass the favor along.

On Friday nights, when the glog and weight of the week sits heavy on your soul, come to a sacred, quiet, loving place. Slowly strip off the layers of fear, unravel the energy-sucking anger, frustration, and disappointments, and just chant your bright and shiny Self to a pure happy place…
Welcome to Kirtan,
"OM NAMAH SHIVAYA"

Ragani’s Kirtan is held the Unitarian Universalist Church West at 13001 W. North Ave, in Brookfield, WI. Ragani performs the first Friday of the month at 7:30pm. Cost: $10. Check her website for calendar, as some months are not scheduled:
www.raganiworld.com

For more information on Kirtan go to: www.sangitadevi.com

Check out Jai Uttal: www.jaiuttal.com His amazing work includes “Kirtan: The Art and Practice of Ecstatic Chant”, “Loveland”, and “Mondo Rama”.

No comments:

Post a Comment