Dedicated to healthy mind, beauty, and spirit

Dedicated to healthy mind, beauty, and spirit

Thursday, June 11, 2009

I LOVE A PARADE


I love a parade, especially if I am doing the parading. Watching from the sidelines is fine for some, but entertaining, and standing up for something I’m proud of, is thrilling. I’ve marched in the 4th of July parade several times, proud to be a free American. This year I am joining Milwaukee’s Gay Pride Parade, proud to celebrate the diversity of the human race.

Beauty College was my first opportunity to know gay men. What hooked me was the ease of communication. Gay men were not afraid or intimidated by me, and delivered their opinions and feelings without hesitation. When doors are wide open, more comes in. Being reserved has its place, but the autistic, “lamp-shady” nature of some straight men can be downright dull. Depth in relationships starts with sharing, not withholding.

My fellow Bees, Michael and Stacey, showed up at a time when I was creatively dormant. They picked me up, dusted me off, and taught me more than anyone. I learned about the process in living. Reaching the goal, and taking pleasure in getting there. I learned about friendships and community, building a family where there was none.
And, I learned that life……..is only as yummy as you make it.

On this parade of friendship and love, I will be promoting diversity and affinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment