Dedicated to healthy mind, beauty, and spirit

Dedicated to healthy mind, beauty, and spirit

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY

On my way to a birthday party, waiting at a red light behind a motorcycle,
I was thinking about my 56 year old friend. Professionally, he is a healer, but now he is the patient, very sick with colitis. Friends and family gathered on his birthday to bring loving energy instead of gifts and libations. This wise group knew that pity and sadness would not contribute to his healing process; rather they acknowledged the celebration of life and the strength of our friend to manage his own journey. Before the light changed, I glanced up to read the back of the biker’s tee shirt, “Pain is weakness leaving the body.”
What a perfect message!

When loved ones are suffering, we want to help, or empathize, but we have to trust that the person can resolve their issue by understanding the arrival of pain in their life. The joyful energy we brought to our friend that day made his journey lighter, that’s what we can do for each other. My Bee-A-Reader recommendation is Louise L. Hay’s book, “You Can Heal Your Life.”

I have battled chronic illnesses and recollect the frustration. I cried a lot, suppressed it with drugs, and beat it down with surgery. It wasn’t obvious while I was suffering, but my body was telling me something. Pain is the baby inside you, crying for attention.

Anger is an example of emotional pain coming out of the body. A depressed person has a low vibration, a numbness of spirit. Anger is actually a higher vibration, less numb and more awake despite that we perceive it as a negative emotion; it’s a sign that your energy is moving closer to happiness. The book, “Ask and It Is Given,” by Esther and Jerry Hicks, charts the emotional scale with depression as the lowest vibration and happiness as the highest. The authors suggest slowly replacing lower emotions with higher ones. When you are depressed, it’s impossible to suddenly replace that emotion with joy. For example, if you have reached anger after being depressed, that is progress. Then frustration is higher than anger, and above frustration is hopelessness. Being stuck in one emotional place is worse than moving to a more positive emotional state. These steps show how progress is being made. We might not recognize this unless we know how emotions work.

When we are hurt, energy instinctually becomes focused on survival. An animal that has been injured will immediately lick the area, and continue obsessing on it for comfort. Humans behave that way when physically or emotionally wounded. If there is no spiritual understanding of why pain comes into our lives, or tools to work thru its arrival, the intense focus on it can lead to addictions, neurotic behaviors, and being caught in the pattern of licking the wounds over and over.

The better option is to embrace pain, not allowing it to make you weak. The marines use this phrase to inspire endurance and strength. Pain should not be feared, but released, knowing that it is only temporary, signaling an opportunity to become stronger. Pain becomes that weakness leaving your body that you replace with a strong muscle for future challenges. Each time it shows up, you have the opportunity to become stronger. Strength lies in awareness, acceptance, and release.

If you or someone you love is physically or emotionally sick, be strong and faithful to the process, understand that pain is not bad luck, but a helpful messenger.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Cherrie for expressing your views on pain. I have been in pain for over 9 years now from an neck injury and subsequent fusions that have left me with permanent nerve damage, ie extreme pain in my neck and upper shoulder areas all of the time. I have been searching for 'the reason' of this pain. It came at a time that after a life of struggling I was finally extremely happy in all areas of my life! I am doing better as I too have learned to embrace my pain and learn to live with it. I do stretching, meditation and deep breathing, and pacing my daily life. I still get frustrated with my body, of course, but I know there is a greater reason for this 'fall from grace' and I am strong enough to get through it. For all others struggling with long-term pain please remember, 'If God sent you to it, He'll lead you through it!'


    With Love,
    Michele Wulf

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete